You may have suffered from an outburst of an unwelcome cold sore around your lips prior to an upcoming important occasion, whether it is a meeting or someone’s wedding. This eruption of tiny blister can be very irksome and embarrassing for you. So what are these ghastly looking lesions doing on your lips and why do they always appear on your big days?
What causes cold sores?
Cold sores develop from the herpes simplex virus. This virus is usually contracted in the infant years by the transmission of the infected saliva and remains in a latent state in the body’s nerve cells until it is reactivated by the triggering factors like stress, depression, anxiety, sickness or exposure to sunlight. This virus causes development of lesions on the lips or inside the mouth and the healing time is from 7-14 days. Cold sores are very infectious and the outbreaks keep recurring from time to time. The cold sore virus cannot be completely eliminated from the system. Though there is no known cure for treating cold sores there are home remedies that can alleviate the pain and the discomfort associated with the lesions and can increase the momentum of the healing process.
Home remedies for cold sores
- Coating the cold sore with petroleum jelly will aid in safeguarding the lesion from the consequent bacterial infection. But refrain from concealing the cold sore with makeup as it will only make matters worse and avoid sharing your lipstick with others.
- Cold sore symptoms are felt hours before the actual appearance of the blisters. When you experience these symptoms, immediately use lysine three times a day. You can locate lysine in any pharmacy or grocery store. Use of lysine will thwart the development of cold sore appearance.
- Take a Benadryl capsule and break it open. Sprinkle this powder on top of a lip balm tube. Then smear this lip balm on the cold sore. The powder of Benadryl will reduce the inflammation and will cause drying out of the sore. It will then heal by itself in nearly three days.
- When you experience the stinging sensation that is the sign of a cold sore outbreak immediately apply ice wrapped in a plastic bag on the area for 10 minutes. Keep repeating this procedure every hour until the stinging sensation is soothed or is considerably reduced.
- To relieve the discomfort and the itching of the cold sores, apply tea bag on the infected area.