A large number of patients suffering from recurrent attacks of cold sores have this question in mind. How nice it would be if we can prevent cold sores from happening instead of using some caustic medicine on your skin or taking some antiviral drugs for weeks and months. Prevention should always be your priority. There are several ways that can help you in dealing with cold sores.
Support you immune system
Colds sores are viral diseases and it is very hard to stop them once they have started growing inside your body. The best thing when dealing with the viruses is not an antiviral drug; your own immune system is the most effective counter force against viral replication. All your emphasis should be on supporting your immune system so that you can limit the growth of the virus and prevent core sores from happening again.
How to improve your immunity?
- Your own skin is a part of the immune system as it protects you from different virus, bacteria and fungi in the environment. You need to keep it healthy and clean all the time. Using moisturizers and vitamin E creams can help too.
- Antioxidants are not only anti-aging agents but their role in improving the immunity of the body is also well documented. Vitamin C and E are good examples of common antioxidants. Other antioxidants are available in fresh vegetables and fruits. Make sure that you are using these vegetables in raw form so that the maximum amount of antioxidants is acquired.
- Do regular exercise. Having a 20 minute walk or 15 minute jogging can keep your immune system running. Having a sedentary lifestyle and getting obese leads to the deterioration of the immunity. This can lead to several folds increased risk of having recurrent attacks of canker sores.
- Stop consuming alcohol. Many immune factor and antibodies are made in the liver and alcohols directly affect the functioning of the liver. You have to restrict yourself to maximum one glass of alcohol a day.
- Eat healthy. Eating excessively and eating less both can be dangerous for you. Only balanced diet should be considered healthy. Makes sure that your diet is a perfect mixture of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. Arginine and lysine should be integral part of your diet to ensure that your immune system is working perfectly.